WHAT IS AGGREGATES ?
TYPES OF AGGREGATES
QUALITIES OF AGGREGATES
What is Aggregates and types of Aggregates will be discuss Briefly.
NOW, What is Aggregates ?
DEFINITION :- Materials Used In Construction, Including Sand, Gravel, Crushed Stones, Slag Non As Aggregates.
In Material Science, Component Of Composite Materials That Resist Compressive Stresses.
Before Going With Types Of Aggregates Let’s Us See Qualities Of Aggregates.
Aggregate Selection Is Important As Durability, Workability And Setting Time (What Is Setting Time?) Depends On Aggregate, Water Cement Ratio, Mixing, Compacting Etc.
QUALITIES OF AGGREGATES :-
- It should posses sufficient hardness to resist scratching and abrasion in the hardened state.
- It should posses sufficient toughness to bear impact and vibratory loads.
- It should strong enough to bear compressive & normal tensile loads.
- It should be free from impurities.
- It should be capable of producing an easily workable plastic mixture combining with cement and water.
TYPES OF AGGREGATES :-
Types Of Aggregates Classified On The Basis Of Grain Size, Origin And Density.
A) Aggregates Types On The Basis Of Grain Size.
- Fine Aggregates :- The grain size lies between 4.75 mm and 0.15 mm. in other words, It passes from mesh sieve of 4.75 mm and retained on sieve 0.15 mm mesh size. (Ex-Sand)
- Coarse Aggregates :- Are those that are retained on the sieve of mesh size 4.75 mm. their upper size is generally around 7.5 mm. (Ex- Gravels from river bed)
*Note :- If Coarse Aggregates is not available in this situation suitable rock types are crushed to the desired particles size for making it.
B) Aggregate Types On The Basis Of Origin.
- Natural :- These include all those types of fine and coarse aggregates, that are available in almost ready to use from natural resources. (Ex- Sand from river bed and gravels from river banks)
- Bye Product :- These include materials obtained from industrial waste. which possess suitable properties for being used as aggregates. (Ex- Slag is obtained from blast furnaces as scum)
- Processed :- These forms a special class in aggregate. they are specifically manufactured for use in making quality concretes.
- Standard or Normal :- These types of aggregate gives strength and weighting to the concrete of around 2300 to 2500 kg/m3 (Ex- Gravels, Sand and Crushed Stone).
- High-Density :- These types of aggregate usually weight above 4000 kg/m3
- Low-Weight :- They consist of natural and artificial materials of very low density so that the resulting concrete is also quite light in weight, generally 350 to 750 kg/m3
- Hydrographic Survey It’s Applications And Procedure
- Classification of Surveys
- Track Drainage In Railway System
- Types Of Runway Configurations, Marking And Safety
- Interlocking In Railway And Their Methods
Author & Editor Of This Blog.
Founder Of “KPSTRUCTURES”